The different causes of antibiotic overuse are:
- Increased antimicrobial use in the community and hospital
- Increase in empiric antibiotics
- Prolonged and broad-spectrum antibiotic courses
- Repeated antibiotic courses
- Prolonged Hospitalizations
- Severely ill patient status
- Immuno-compromised state
- Increased use of intravascular devices and catheters
- Inadequate infection control procedures
- Antibiotic use in animals and agriculture
How to overcome this problem:
- Use narrow spectrum antibiotics or older antibiotics.
- Shorter duration of therapy when appropriate.
- Manipulate the dose of antibiotics.
- Educate people to use fewer antibiotics.
- Focus more on prevention rather than using antibiotics.